Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Character Interview Blogfest :)

Today's blogfest is hosted by the ever lovely Sangu over at Echoes of a Wayward Mind. And I thought I would interview my main - main character from Beckoned, Faye. She's quirky but wise, with a sense of humor that kicks ass and a strong and caring heart. I could talk to you about her personality forever, but I think it's probably just best to let her speak for herself. Here goes :)

Faye is sitting at a small table in a sunlit room. There wasn't much that can be seen, because most everything was washed out by golden light. But what was visible was perfectly detailed. There was a singular pink daisy in a short blue vase. The vase matched the gauzy pale blue curtains exactly. She picked at the table cloth - it had a lacy floral pattern that reminded her of... something. It danced in the back of her memory just out of reach. I sat across the table from her, notepad and pen in hand. 
 She blinked at her new surroundings and at me, startled but unafraid. That's the way I wrote her. "Where am I?" she asked calmly.
"I'm sorry," I replied. "I know this isn't your world, but I just wanted to ask you a few questions." I paused, then added shyly, "I'm the writer."
She rested her forehead on her hand and sighed in exasperation. "It figures. How many more worlds are you planning on dragging me into? I'm still trying to handle the latest one."
"How is that going, by the way?"
"Well it's... It's wonderful. I have so much fun there. Gage has been amazing, and his brother Kale is fantastic too. And your world is just... well, it's just beautiful. It's -" she chuckled. "It's out of this world." Rolling her eyes at her own joke, she beamed at me, and I smiled back, though a little sadly.
"What about the bad things?" I ask her. "The dark things? Don't they bother you?"
She looked a little startled, as if maybe she thought I wouldn't bring that part up. Her expression quickly turned thoughtful. "I guess it bothered me at first. But it's in their nature. They aren't all like you and me. Some were born just to be the things that go bump in the night. Can I blame them for being themselves?" She shrugged, then continued. "Besides, the light is nothing without the darkness. How can I appreciate the beauty without having seen its' counterpart?" I smiled at her. It was why she was my favorite, her openness and compassion towards others, no matter what the species. 
I cleared my throat some, and shuffled the papers in front of me. "I guess we should ask some more questions. Shop things, you know? I had a stack of index cards here somewhere... Oh, well. Off the top of my head then. So, can you tell us about your parents?"
She leaned forward across the table and stage-whispered, "You already know my parents."
"I know, I know, but it's not for me, you see. Other people want to know."
She looked around curiously. "Oh? Who?"
I was getting exasperated at this point. "Don't worry about that. Just talk."
She frowned at me, but spoke none-the-less. "I only know my mother. When I was growing up, she was so superstitious, and so afraid for me, like something was always out to get me. Her biggest fear was that I would get snatched away. Though, I guess that now that I have, that fear was perfectly logical." Her lips pursed thoughtfully for a moment, till she quickly added, "But it was my choice to come here. And I wouldn't have run away if she hadn't been harassing me. Besides, going there is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love it there." She nodded defiantly, daring me to disagree with her. 
I smiled at her unruliness. "So tell me about Gage and Kale. Anything to share there?" I winked, and she responded with a blush.
"Gage has been amazing. He's the one who took me there, you know? He's a king there. He kind of adopted me into his family. His subjects even call me 'princess.'" She giggled, then quieted. "And then there's Kale, his brother. I'm pretty sure both of them like me, but there's just something about Kale." She smiled and ducked her head. "I think I love them both."
I sighed; I was afraid of that. "Are you having a hard time choosing between them?"
She looked me straight in the eye as she answered. "Yeah, honest to goodness, I really am."
I made a note on my paper so she wouldn't see my face. "Don't worry, it will get easier."
She was instantly aware. "What does that mean? What do you know?" She glared at me, leaning across the table, grey eyes sparking. 
I was prepared for her reaction, and it didn't faze me. "Don't worry. Everything will be okay in the end."
She tilted her head to the side slightly, studying me. "How do you know?" she asked cautiously.
I laughed at that. "Because I don't write sad books."
She laughed too, and the tension eased. I looked down at my watch and sighed. 
"I have to send you back."
"I guess that's probably a good thing. Kale and Gage will be wondering what I'm up to." She cringed, then added, "I wish they wouldn't fight so much." 
I laughed a little as she started to fade, and then reminded her. "They're goblins, Faye. That's just what they do."

-Thanks all, hope you enjoyed! Be sure to check out the other entries too! Also, keep checking back or checking in with twitter. Kris and I will be hosting a giveaway soon!!!


<3 Kelsey Leigh

*Update: I used the word check a lot last night.*

33 comments:

  1. Balls, she´s so cute, I loved her!

    "She leaned forward across the table and stage-whispered, "You already know my parents."
    "I know, I know, but it's not for me, you see. Other people want to know." PRECIOUS!

    Great job! And you are the sweetest interviewer =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was fantastic! She's incredibly cute and I love how you were so shy when you introduced yourself to her. Such a pleasure to read.

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your parting shot-- about them being goblins. It really made it that much more interesting! She does seems really sweet and fun! It was great to get to meet Faye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great! You guys are so much fun and I'm loving your blog...be sure to check out mine tomorrow becuase I'm giving you an award.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ZOMG SQUEE!!!! AN AWARD!!!! *runs off to find ball gown*

    <3 Kelsey Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was the sweetest interview I've read! How adorable! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can only agree, she's adorable!! Isn't it fun writing a joint book?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A joint book I would think might present challenges. You seem to be handling quite well. Love your character and her quick, witty responses.

    And people usually don't re-read sad stories. So you not writing them is wise. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, she's nice. :)
    But I thought there was two of you...where was Kris during this?
    I had a hard telling my character she was NOT the hero of the book...you're having a much easier go of it. Yes, everything works out in the end...but not the way the character should expect...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the set-up of this interview, and I really enjoyed Faye's voice. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, she definitely isn't expecting this, unfortunately. Mother knows best. And Kris? Kris left me for a week's vacation in the Florida Keys. So I am shunning her at the moment. *smug smile*

    <3 Kelsey Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww very cute. I love the way you reassure her - I bet she's pleased you don't write sad books!

    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww, FAYE IS AWESOME

    (also hahaha RAYE - FAYE i see)(i think they@re very different though)

    Loved this. Nice to see somebody not being beaten into submission by their characters :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Mia, yes, but if I had interviewed one of my boys...well. Let's just say I'm glad I picked Faye.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww, she's cute! Very personable, fiery underneath. You didn't let her bully you at all. ;-)

    I dunno, Roland--I re-read sad books all the time. Maybe I'm just weird? lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Sharongerlach I do too, but I love Faye too much to cause her *much* pain.

    <3 Kelsey Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  17. Taunting your character with the ending! Cruel writer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love her, she's adorable and fiesty... who doesn't love that combo?! I love the name Faye, how interesting!!!

    Your blog is cute and I'm thankful to have Sangu have hosted this because I've found so many new great writers and I'm glad to have stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the end! And Faye seems great. I can tell you love her. I hope we get to know her better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Clara - tee hee. Kris and I like to think of her as kind of a reflection of our personalities, so that is more of a compliment than you realize!

    @Sangu - Thank you for hosting and for such a sweet compliment!

    @Amalia - Thank you! I was trying to figure out how to work that in somewhere in my blog. So, Tada! FAERIES!!!

    @Renae - nothing could be more fan-girly than my comment directed at you earlier.

    @EVERYBODYELSE - THANK YOU!!! I'm glad you enjoyed this as much as I did!

    <3 Kelsey Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great interview!!! I think it's awesome you and your roommate are working on writing a book together. My roommate and I have one in the works...just as long as she stays out of my Twinkies.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Awesome interview. A main character being the most important one, always assumes we, the author knows everything... ;)
    But there are hidden traits that come out during such interviews !! I can see the spunk and the way Faye handles things with the way the interview proceeded. Loved the part about Goblins !

    Interesting to know about the writing with your roommate process :)

    Thanks for the blog follow. I am marking yours under my must-reads too!

    Adding my thanks to Sangu for hosting this interesting blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awe, she's sweet. I like her and want to know more about her. I must say I'm a little freaked about the fact that her love interests are goblins. Interesting. Must read. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, and the picture totally fits her personality! I love her spirit, her gentleness and fire... Great interview!!

    Thank you for sharing this with us and for your awesome comments over at my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. She sounds awesome - and very sweet. :) I loved how you put descriptions in your interview so we could really see the character. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was such a great read and your character is really intersting and sweet. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's such a great interview! I love how she's like, "uh, where am I?"

    I found your blog from Renae's. Nice to meet you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How brave to give away already that your story has a happy ending! But it seems like there could be many possible happy conclusions to this story... What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fun interview! I love the bit at the end, that the brothers are goblins. Awesome!

    And thanks for stopping in and following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This interview is FABULOUS. The parting shot through me for such a loop I had to go back and read it all again. I really like Faye. She's engaging sweet and seems like she has the potential to be one of those leading ladies you don't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've given you an award on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This was awesome! A very fun read, and I am really intrigued by your story :D

    ReplyDelete